Jesus speaks to matters of money, wealth, and possessions, and property in terms of discipleship and instructs His followers to be generous.
Discipleship Pathway > Learn How to Be Generous
Love gives. Giving is a part of the very nature of love. That’s just what love does. This is why God is so giving. He is love. Think about perhaps the most famous passage of our New Testament: John 3:16. God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son.
As you follow Christ Jesus in discipleship, you must learn how to be a generous giver like God. This is not a small thing. Jesus talked about wealth, property, and possessions often, and He said generosity is how we guard our hearts from the traps those things create. Growing in generosity is also vital to a proper understanding of stewardship which reminds us that we are merely managers of our belongings, not owners. God is the owner of everything. We can give freely. Generous giving to the local church should be regular, intentional, cheerful, and based on your faith in God’s generosity to you.
Scriptures to Read & Study
- Deuteronomy 8:11-18
- Psalm 24:1
- Proverbs 11:24-26
- Matthew 6:19-33
- 2 Corinthians 8:1-24, 9:1-15
- 1 Timothy 6:6-19
- 1 Peter 4:7-11
Thought and Discussion Questions
- Are you a generous person? Would others say you are generous?
- When have you found great joy in giving something away without expectation?
- Why do you think conversations about money are so charged with awkwardness and discomfort?
- Do you regularly support the ministries of your local church?
- Giving is extremely personal and often not discussed with others. Examine your current giving. Is your giving from a cheerful heart? Is it intentional?
- How would you describe your current attitude towards giving?
- Why is giving an important part of being a church member?