Perhaps one of the largest aspects of Christian discipleship, no one ever fully graduates from learning how to spend time with Jesus. This is the essence of following Christ.
Discipleship Pathway > Spend Time With Jesus
Christianity is not a religion or a man-made attempt to reach God. It is a relationship with the only true, living God. Much like we learn how to engage in deepening human relationships, you are invited to learn how to spend time with Jesus, talking to Him, listening to Him and simply being with Him. This involves learning how to read and study God’s Word, how to pray, how to worship and other spiritual practices that train your heart and mind for this relationship.
A disciple spends great amounts of time with Jesus, regularly and consistently. Of course our task is very different than the original disciples who literally walked with Jesus on the dusty roads of Israel. We cannot physically embrace Jesus now which can make spending time with Him quite a challenge. Hearing from God and discerning His voice can also be a confusing adventure. Thus this central aspect of discipleship must be a constant area of attention and growth. You will never graduate from this course. Each new day is a new opportunity to deepen your understanding of God by spending time with Him.
Scriptures to Read & Study
- Mark 3:13-14
- Matthew 6:5-8
- John 15:1-11
- Ephesians 4:17-24
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Hebrews 4:14-16
- 1 John 1:1-2
Thought and Discussion Questions
- How would you describe your current level of nearness to God?
- In what ways do you currently spend time with God?
- Are you comfortable with or intimidated by the Bible? Why?
- Do you enjoy an active and vibrant prayer life? Why or Why not?
- What is worship?
- How do you worship God?
- What would it take to develop a regular and unhurried time with Jesus in God’s Word?
- What are some distractions, external and internal, that keep you from spending more time with God?